Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Bangalore calling

I was on an 'official' visit to Bangalore for 2 days, to interview the facchas who aspire to join SP for the PGDBM batch of 2008.5 nostalgic moments quickly captured in a couple of phrases each:

(1) The train journey: Roars of laughter; sound peaceful sleep that seemed to last forever; listening to horror stories and playing spooky school-kids' games of calling the dead ones' spirits for 2 full hours,starting at 12 midnight; pretending to be a major intellectual giant of sorts (:-p) by perching myself at the train's doorstep, deeply buried in Amartya Sen's 'The Argumentative Indian' (lovely book.A review on this, hopefully some time later); the "Suniye,zara yahaan aayiye na...mummy ne aapko aaj shaam ko chaai pe bulaaya hai.Zaroor aana haan?" piece of nonsense that was exchanged between ...ahem ahem, blush blush...the so-voted 'best couple of the batch of 2007' at SPJIMR.

(2) A special gift that I absolutely loved. Rice-writing's such an admirably beautiful art!I wish I can try my calligraphy skills on rice sometime.

(3) Hogging home-made chapatis at 1 in the night, over a dining table that resounded with never-ending stories that I had to tell my folks for the nth time.

(4) The chill early-morning wind that threatened to cut through my skin as we rode at 80kmph to the interview centre, only to find that I was one of the first ones to arrive.

(5) A stupendous day of interviewing, that I immensely enjoyed.It's so much fun being on the other side of the grilling table, except that it's hard to control your laughter at times...times such as those when a faccha who has grabbed vague pathetic economics fundas from God-knows-where, when posed with a question "India has touched a GDP growth rate of 8% but sustaining it is a big question.What would you, as the PM of India do to sustain this growth rate?" throws in an answer like "I will reduce the interest rates!!!!" :) The day witnessed loadsa guffaws, some "Hats-off-to-you-sir,Can I meet you over coffee this evening? ;)" kind of brilliant performances, impressive communication skills and last but not the least,some ruthless stripping of false camouflages of brilliance and some melting of nose-in-the-air-attitude (which I must admit, the sadistic side of me loved doing).

"Great job,girl.Very good show" was what the revered profs left me with."Great job admissions committee,superb organizing skills" was what I left the organizers with.

Book Iam currently reading: The Argumentative Indian by Amartya Sen

7 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, Blogger anoop said...

u changed the name of the post.. :)
Rice-writings : church street ?

it ceratinly is enjoyable, to sit on the other side.. have done my share of campus intvs for my company..
"ruthless stripping of false camouflages of brilliance" - excellent phrase, very true...
also - "unearthing pretentions of excessive pressure by the candidate" needs to be detected sometimes

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) The GDP answer was nice! What's a faccha?

Here's something hilarious:-
http://as01.cooltoad.com/music/song.php?id=222420

You might need to register/sign up or something. A mere formality. It's an awesome song, let me tell you that!! Apparently, it's the current craze in the IITs and NITs and the like. And has been so for the past six months. Those fellows have even got hold of the video, which is supposed to be even more awesome!

Anyway, just download that song, ok? And play it in Windows Media Player and enable the "Show media information" item in View --> Now playing options. You'll see a funky photo!!

 
At 1:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! This is as hilarious as the Titanic thing:-
http://www.angryalien.com/0504/shiningbunnies.html

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Fundoo said...

I swear I had posted a comment here!! :O) Gaayab???!!!

 
At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I did that.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Sandy said...

Hey having gone through the SPJ grind this yr myself I know how it feels to be inteh line of fire. but it was an good experience anyway.

And I completely agree with u on gratfying the sadist inside us when we take interviews ourselves! u can chk out some of my experiences on tht here http://rock-shasa.blogspot.com/2006/05/masterminds-india.html

 
At 8:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a huge fan of Amartya Sen's writing. Have you read his latest book "Identity and Violence?" It's a very good read. I liked The Argumentative Indian as well. Bought the hard-bound edition from Landmark, Forum Mall.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home