Saturday, January 07, 2006

Warring against mush

I don't know if it's the Valentines' day effect but I seem to be bumping into way too much mush-related read on the web of late.No matter how disinterested Iam in some stupid day ear-marked for lovers to celebrate,which anyway bears no relevance to me, Cupid seems too determined to thrust his cloyingly heart-piercing content at me every time I hit a site for some general read or every time I watch a movie or listen to a song or even look around myself!Has the world run out of themes???Have people lost their minds so much that love becomes their be-all n end-all???Bah!I've lent as patient a ear as I could n as hard a shoulder as I could to all those love-breakup-love-breakup stories of my friends n I finally do need a break, lest I stop believeing in love, once n for all! But no!Luck seems to have other plans for me, like these for example...

First there was that brilliant play in college that I was harping about some time back that left most audience's eyes misty n all.Then there was this moving'riches to rags' story reported in Mumbai Mirror some time back, about Rusi, a Paki cricket stud of yesteryears, who went from love to depression to beggary!Sad quirk of fate for the poor guy.Feel really sorry for him n all that but what the hell!He's obviously responsible for his current state.Who asked him to lose his heart to a ditcher who'd care a damn about his depression or beggary!?!Anyways, thought I'd go catch a good movie. Watched 15 Park Avenue. Good movie alright but there came the same old sob story of Meethi turning insane oer a lost love.The next Thursday(my weekly off here), I woke up unusualy early unlike the sleep-till-12-noon holiday schedule.I woke up with a sword in hand, that was kept ready to mercilessly severe off any minute speck of mush,that should dare to show up again in front of me that day, in whatever form.Then started this lil Joan of Arc's expedition: Off marched the no-mush soldier's small frame with the sword firmly in place, to the Crossword bookstore in Shoppers' Stop.Sonia Faleiro was a blogger I met at last time's Mumbai Bloggers' meet and I wanted to check out her debut novel at the Crossword book store.I plonked myself on a couch there n started devouring 'The Girl'.Completed it in about two hours.It's very well written alright but at the end of it, the mighty Joan of Arc's sword lay shattered in pieces...for there it was again!'The Girl' was generously soaked in mush too.Cupid, I give up.Warring against mush is pointless!I'd rather condition myself to make a U-turn n say "Gimme more.Ye dil maange more"!Sigh :(

Quote for the day: "A youth with his first cigar makes himself sick; a youth with his first girl makes other people sick."
Mary Wilson Little

2 Comments:

At 2:46 PM, Blogger Div said...

Chutki!!! Relax...the view of love that we see in movies or read in books just can't be the real thing. How can something that is filtered, distilled and scrutinized many-a-times before being released be the real essence of the concept. It's either selling a product usind titilation to creating an aura of heavenly aroma in the goodie-cuddly movies. I don't think i know much, but then, 'Hope is the quintessential human emotion'!

 
At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aye! How’s it fair that St. Patrick’s Day’s not celebrated with as much gusto? Hagio-discrimination!!!

Namrata.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home