Monday, November 21, 2005

Modest?Stupid?I know better

Yipppeee!The post that I had posted here won the first place at the IIMI blogging contest.Bharani from ISB and Ravi from IIMA came in joint first.When some people at SP heard about it and asked me why I hadn't mailed to tell everyone about it, an interesting conversation followed:

He:What the hell!?! You win stuff and don't even bother letting us all know?
Me:hehe naaah it was nothing much. Iam just clinging on to the vestiges of modesty left in an MBA grad you see.
He:This is stupidity, not modesty.
Me:Oh really!?!ok, you're free to think so.
He:What else have you been winning that we don't know of?
Me:Now that you've asked me,yeah!every single paper that I have worked on till date, has made it atleast to the final shortlists of the respective contests.
He:Hmmm and you haven't been telling us about any of these like the others do?You know,there's a psychological interpretation to what you're doing.You don't share good news with people around you means that you do not have close friends amongst the people around you.
Me:Hmmm Ok,you're free to think what you want to.
He:Whew!I give up!

It is sometimes scary to think of how fiercely independent,life at SP is making me.I love it this way though.

Quote for the day:It is far more impressive when others discover your good qualities without your help.
~~Miss Manners
>>It doesn't make a big difference even if they never discover it, as long as you have discovered it.
~~Me

16 Comments:

At 5:46 PM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

It is farther less likely though :-)

Congrats! and Congrats! and Congrats ... (n times)
where n = number of papers.

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger chutki said...

Maybe but who cares whether someone knows about it or not, as long as you feel good about it? Oh daaaamn!'the Rand effect'as someone here called it, seems to be quadrupling in strength with every passing day.It sometimes makes me wonder: Having an idealist/philosophical bent of mind kind of makes it tougher for 'normal' people around to relate to what you say/do.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

Where is idealism in this? You could be a good example for some by displaying your qualities, no? Or you can be a warning, just like me ;-)

 
At 11:02 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Seema,
Congrats ! So quality did win over quantity ! I eat my words :-)

 
At 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all congrats to you.

[chutki]:
"Having an idealist/philosophical bent of mind kind of makes it tougher for 'normal' people around to relate to what you say/do."
had never seen from the other side.. will keep this in mind from now on..

 
At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!!(Hardhika shubhashayagalu??). elli pattenea illa??

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger chutki said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:41 AM, Blogger chutki said...

[varun]:"I'll do what I think is right without altering my decisions based on what every Tom,Dick and Harry thinks about it" IS idealism in a way, isn't it? I join the warning club :)

PS: Do note the quote I modified after I thought over your comment :)

[pratap]:Thanq :)

[Anoop]:Thanq too :)

[Sri]:Thanks Sri.Yaaridu gottaaglilvalla

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Chandoo said...

hey.. congrats on winning the prize.

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, congrats!! Very nice, very nice. Of course, this calls for a treat.

By the way, why did you remove a post someone had made? Mail it to me. Somehow, I like controversy.

 
At 3:15 PM, Blogger Madhav said...

Well done Seema! Just dropped onto your blog and was very pleasantly surprised ... incidentally, I'd read the winning post earlier and it was fantastic ... deserved the prize it's bagged! Keep it up :)

 
At 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Interesting conversation!
When I see others or myself doing such things I wonder it is modesty or ego!! Ego that "I have proved myself better than others, so why should I listen to others?!!"

Well, you can always say "...you're free to think so. I know better" :))

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats seema. Agree to wat u say.
But, if you look from an another angle, though you have a sense of personal achievement, it make a little more sense to advertise your achivements!

Though not very related to this discussion, if it was all about personal opinions, you could have put all the blog stuff u write here in your dairy or if u r lazy to write, put them into MSword n keep them on ur hard disk (n if u r afraid of ur disk crashing, burn them n keep them in bank lockers!!)

But, instead you put them here and expect people to read and exprss their views. So you cannot have two different viewpoints for related subjects. Sharing achievements with ppl u know gives an equal feel of pride (may be u will be pestered for a trt!)

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATS!! If you have it, flaunt it. Humility is usually by chance and not by choice :D. Its also rather elitist! You've been on a roll all your life.. continue and enjoy maadi!

Namrata.

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, this may seem like Douglas Adams’ take on disproving the existence of god by his own testament using the babble fish, but since you sound very immodest out here, do we take it that we – the readers are close friends ;p? Far cry ain’t it?

N

 
At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting conv ...must say :))
but i believe the post cud'v been improved

 

Post a Comment

<< Home