Sunday, December 04, 2005

4 days of living a dream I've wanted to live

A welcome break, a sweet victory, a sense of awe - that pretty much sums up the 4 days of the pilgrimage that Iam about to describe.12 of us set out from Mumbai to take part in one of the biggest festival melas that draws a huge crowd year after year, from all parts of India and aboroad.I spent the night of 24th Nov,2005 on a wonderfully entertaining train journey which witnessed even me,the Goddess of deep slumber, sleep for just two hours in all.After alighting at the station, we were very warmly received by our hosts,Sappy and Sunny who had come all the way from the temple to the railway station at 5am just to welcome us!A smooth ride on this chill morning through some of the best Indian roads I've seen, took us to our destination.One look at the marvel and we immediately understood why it was called an architectural wonder!What lay before us were huge lawns, carpetting an extremely vast expanse of land on which several well-spaced brick-finish blocks were carefully stacked like Lego building blocks.Following Sunny through what seemed to me like an interesting cave-like structure, we arrived at another huge lawn, which made me wonder whether this was laid out with an intention of turning it into a cricket or a football stadium some day!Some of us in the pack of 12, were so awe-struck at the sight of such beautiful architecture and landscaping that we clicked as many as 600 snaps in all, of this marvellous wonder! After completing our check-in formalities, we were ushered into our lodging rooms.Although seven of us were herded into a room meant for one, not once did we feel the discomfort during our entire stay there because we never really got to spend more than 2-3 hours a day, sleeping in the small crammed room.


The mela then began in full swing, with a zillion interesting events packed into every hour of the day.Every single hour of sleep we skipped was worth it.Even though we spent no more than 2 hours sleeping on each of those 3-4 nights, every moment was truly worth it. While some of these events tickled one's grey cells a lot, some others were studded with the most distinguished speakers dishing out immensely insightful and inspirational talks to the swarming crowd that had thronged the place.My team won the third prize in one such event and I very narrowly missed a victory in another :( An Australian team breezed their way to the first place, while the host team stood second.The mela hogged a lot of media attention as well and I, along with two of my friends were on air on NDTV for a while :) The mela also included a traditional Dandiya night.It was a pretty sight to watch even the foreigners donning traidtional Indian ghagra cholis, learning Dandiya steps from the home crowd and dancing away to glory.We were so smitten by the place, the crowd, the food - just about every thing, that we bunked some of the talks scheduled on our last day there and went around the huge premises clicking snaps instead!The inmates of this place, that deserves all the reverence it invokes in me for a lot of reasons, were a rare combination of smart+witty+down-to-earth: the kind of company I've been craving for ever since I left home.

Now let me stop beating around the bush and try being a little less cryptic.The TEMPLE in question is IIMA, the PILGRIMAGE is our recent trip to IIMA, the MELA is IIMA's fest 'Confluence',the distinguished speakers included Mr.Chandrababu Naidu,Mr.Mukesh Ambani,Mr.Vijay Mallya,Mr.Santosh Desai with his interesting ad-workshop and many more.

The first thing I had noticed at the station where Sappy was there to welcome us, was this line written on their batch T-shirt "IIMA - Don't you wish you were here?".Ahem ahem...If only dreams and wishes were horses that were gifted with wings Sappy, I'd've been your classmate now!Iam happy that I got to live a long-time dream, atleast for 4 fleeting days.Thanks so much for everthing.It's now time to return from dreamland back to a world where reality bites and I pray that March 2007 comes by asap.Amen!

8 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

NDTV and all.. awesome.. elli navu nodona swalpa pictures share maadi..

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger KAD said...

Nope!! You will in due course wish March 2007 comes as late as possible. To put it in the Shawshank Redemption way "These walls (read b-schools) are funny. First you hate 'em, then you get used to 'em. After long enough, you get so you depend on 'em. That's "institutionalized."

And soon you will swear by SPJain, miss everything that is there once you leave and wonder, what would it take to go back. Shawshank Redemption, indeed.

Sound like I have lost all my good sense, right!!!! :))

 
At 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sunny feels nice about being mentioned in Chutki's blog :-)

And I quite agree with Kanishka. I'm sure you'll grow to love SP in the near future.

Cheers
Sunny

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Fundoo said...

Visiting temples appears to be 'working' for some people haan! The deities of I or A didn't miss any opportunity to shower our miss Chutki with blessings! I am sure the whole SP fraternity is proud of you. :-)

Back after a long a time... not that I never visited Maverick Musings, but for some reason didn't feel like posting a comment without sparing enough time to read what I was going to comment on! Ah btw kudos to those who came up with the tag line on the T-shirt. How I wish I were there too!! May be Sappy's senior? :D

 
At 10:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there...
nice to here such good things abt my institute :)
well...i am "sunny" (and not 'sappy' as i wasn't wearing our 'Branded for Life' tee)
Our hospitatility does not end with Conflu...any time u feel the need to spend some time at Ahd, u r most welcome...u have our numbers :)

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger chutki said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger chutki said...

[Sri]:NDTV naane nodak aaglilla.Friends phone maadi "ninna nodide nodide" antidru.Photos share maadakke idyaav Sri anta gottagbekalla modlu.Heg share maadodu?

[Kanishka]:hehe that Shawshank Redemption thingy was cool.Nope, you've regained all lost sense is more like it :-p

[Sunny]:Hope so Sunny.I must admit, I like it a lot more now than I used to initially.Hail Kanishka!

[Fun_Da_Mental]:I really appreciate the time that you take to leave comments that extend to more than just one-liners :) but do gimme brickbats more often.Your words seem too sweet for me to digest as well-deserved compliments :) Yaha bhi koi ladki ka senior banne ka mouka nahi chodta!

[Anon, Goldy]:hehehe stop fooling around with the 'Sunny' n 'Sappy' thingy guys.The internet medium offers a veil of anonymity n Iam sure anon n Goldy r using it to the hilt to have some fun here.Carry on, Iam game :)

I do remember names,it's just that I haven't mentioned EVERYBODY whom I interacted with. I must admit,though,that I don't have a great record when it comes to remembering names.There used to be times in college when Id stand and talk to someone for nearly an hour cz his face looked familiar and then be at a loss to recall his name!You're most welcome to our humble abode in Aamchi Mumbai and get a taste of SP's hospitality. Though I can't promise a campus filled with lush green lawns,marvellous architecture,Asia's best library and some awesome food, I can still guarantee some decent company :)

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger chutki said...

Ooops! Forgot to mention that I found out who Goldy was loooooong back.Abhi, too much!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home