Friday, May 20, 2005

A leaf from the past

What is it like, catching up with a long-lost buddy after 13 long years!?!I was lucky enough to figure out on Saturday...

Ater I had schooled for 8 long years, a new girl made her entry when I was in my 6th standard.Nami was a thin,fair girl.All that I remember was that she used to stand at the far end of our school assembly lines,being the tall kid that she was,while I used to be amongst the first few short ones.For some vague unknown reason, I was under the perception that she was from England!She was in a section different from mine and we never really interacted much.We later moved into the same school again for high school education but the sections remained different and we remained the hi-hello buddies that we always were.It was after 13 long years that I got a scrap out of the blue in my Orkut scrap book saying "hey seema! remember me? I came in late... 6.5th std :)?" One look at the name was enough to inundate me with golden memories of school.I instantly replied, asking if we could meet up n the 'date' was fixed for Saturday,11am,Cafe Coffee Day, after a few funny scrap exchanges.

Yours truly being a baby when it comes to 12-hour sleep schedules, got up at 10:45am,unable to bear the sun shining directly into my eyes.Rushed to the phone,dialled Nami's number to tell her we could meet up in half an hour and got to hear a polite "She's out to meet her friend at CCD" from Nami's mom.Quickly got dressed in the very first wrinkle-free thing that I could lay my hands on and landed at CCD at 11:10am.Oooooof!that was quick.Nami had settled down with a book at a comfy corner table n looked very,very pleasant.Exchanged greetings n hugs with the gorgeous girl whose wit I had begun to admire after our scrap exchanges on Orkut.The very first thing that I said to her was "Oh!Not bad if I find myself a tall boyfriend,Nami.I just realized that my petite self can still manage a decent hug with tall people ;)"

As we settled down with our hot chocolate and coffee,we got talking about everything under the sun ranging from nostalgic school days,staying single,crushes,career plans,hobbies,friends,books,attitudes,treks etc.She frankly told me that although we didn't talk much during our school days,she just thought I was a snob - "simply because anyone who's cute and who's a topper is BOUND to be a snob :)" I had had no opinion of her in school coz I did not know her at all.I liked the '20 questions about each other' game that I convinced her into playing,although we did not quite complete 20 full questions.That, till date, is the quickest and most enjoyable fun way that I've known,to get to know a stranger/an acquaintance better.

She then took me to her workplace and showed me around the campus.I admire its interiors.They are painted so well by spastic children.I had seen the office earlier too but being shown around by a friend with all the accompanying chitter chatter,being told some funny incidents/trivia about the place/colleagues as we paraded up and down the fleet of stairs,standing on the terrace to catch a panoramic view with the wind blowing against our hair was a different and immensely enjoyable experience by itself.

It was time to part ways again.I was a lot richer in terms of joy, as I returned home,thinking of the wonderful reunion that had just happened with someone I had begun to adore,with someone who shared a lot of my interests,with someone whose crosses matched a lot with mine,with someone whose company was absolutely wonderful.From what she said to me and wrote in her blog, she loved the meet too and returned home with prejudices about my being a "cute smart snob" changed for good :) It's amazing what wonderful things could result when people can be balanced enough to put in just that lil bit of extra effort to let an open mind win over a mind that's prejudiced,ain't it?

2 Comments:

At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and where's the link to the babe's blog? ;-)
I'm pathetic at remembering names. I once bumped into one old classmate of mine. We weren't really fast friends, but friends nonetheless. I couldn't remember the name!! I'm good at remembering the faces though, so I knew who he was, just couldn't attach a name. It got really embarrassig in the end.
And yeah, I know, World loves to label geniuses as "snobs" :-D
- The evil genius

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woah! Seema! I’m honoured (even though you like calling me piggy names ;)).. It’s really sweet.. all that you’ve written here.. and not to mention elaborate! I think it would be better if you made “was” in “Nami was a thin …” bold :P. Lol! English! I must’ve had a stiff upper lip then… I did have an upper lip that really wasn’t attended to.. but hmm.. was it stiff? I wonder! Really, you’ve made my day! Thanks so much!
Cute and smart didn’t change – Just the snob bit..

Who's the evil snob ;)?

- Nami

 

Post a Comment

<< Home