Saturday, October 15, 2005

Of what they said n what I learned

It's quite amazing, and maybe quite amusing too, to notice the stark contrast between the maxims that were "taught" or "imparted" to us and the maxims that we actually learn for ourselves,based on what we see in the world around us.That's when a process of confusion,questioning,unlearning and learning sets in.

My musings on this contrast centred around what I observed in my workplace and current college, and I spotted a number of new maxims waiting to replace or dilute the older ones that I clung to.A few of these replacements were easy to accept, since they bore no relevance to me. However, it was pretty unsettling to accept a few others, because they pose a serious trade-off between adherence to values and being diplomatic enough to survive.

What they said: Distance makes the heart grow fonder.
What I say: Nay, distance just makes one's heart wander!

What they said: Modesty and humility will take you far in life.
What I say: Generally true but in the corporate world,modesty and humility don't get you one-tenth as far as your hollow-headed braggart colleague.

What they said: A diamond is a woman's best friend.
What I say: Too many vices vie with the diamond.

What they said: A woman's heart is an ocean of secrets.
What I say: A man's heart is no better.

What they said: A girl needs a confidante apart from her family.
What I say: I've never felt the need till date.

What they said: If you judge people, you have no time to love them.
What I say: If you love people, you'll never want to judge them.

What they said: Serenity is when there's no storm.
What I say: Serenity isn't freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm.

4 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They also say - "Learn how to read, not what to read; Learn how to write, not what to write". You decide how much you want to follow what they say, for me learning for myself is the best.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Trevor Penn said...

maxims come from experiences and experience could be a two sided coin... sope, no wonder you have a different take on what is accepted, "taught" or "imparted"... I'm sure you'll see the other side of the coin as well...

 
At 2:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well. This was an excellent and very different kinda post. You are right about the teaching and the learning part. Sometimes we learn what "they" don't teach and that's what life is all about.

Also, I love the name of your blog...pretty cool...:-)

 
At 12:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just read this one post but like the way u write.
especially liked the last one - "Serenity isn't freedom from the storm, but peace within the storm."
have a nice time and keep posting

 

Post a Comment

<< Home