Thursday, October 06, 2005

My struggle with Hindi continues undaunted

Hindi is one language that I absolutely love for its rich repertoire of expressive lingo and the melody that oozes out in its spoken form. However, there are a few seemingly complicated profound touches to it, so profound that my poor lil mind has never been able to grasp the hilt of it even after 5 torturous years of pursuing Hindi as my 3rd language :( Whether the profoundness of the language intricacy is to be blamed or my highly crippled mental capacities are to be blamed is another issue and is best left unspoken. For now, it just suffices to say "Despite those 5 torturous years when I had to bribe mom to do all my Hindi homework for me and another 2 years in office when I was forced to converse in Hindi or risk being outcasted, I fail to get the hang of ka, ki, ke ke prayog".

What I could never comprehend way back in school was:

- The difference between machli,makkhi and macchar! Even after humongous efforts at learning my words, I often used to answer "Use the following words in sentences of your own " pathetically like this:

Kal raat ek machli aake meri khoon peeke gaya.
Priya makkhi khaa raha hai.
Mujhe aam pasand hai aur macchar ko bhi pasand hai.

- Why it is "car aati hai" but "truck chala gaya".

- Why my Hindi ma'am used to find it so amusing to read out my answers to other teachers and have a hearty laugh with them.

What still beats me:

- When to use kaa, ki and ke - Gender ka koi logic hi nahi hai!(or is it Gender KI now...aaaargh neva mind)

- Why my wingie finds it so cute n pinches my cheeks when I say "Ab theek hoon.Meri bukaar chali gayi".

Whew!I'll NOW try n learn n talk a lot in chaste Hindi n stun my teacher flat.
Drat! How soon is NOW? That is the question.

Quote for the day:I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.
~Eartha Kitt

12 Comments:

At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess one needs to hv an X factor to detrmine the gender of an inanimate object :-) Its so hopeless !!!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.it-c.dk/people/pfw/hindi/

Hope this helps :).
Not learning any of the Mumbaiyya bol-bachan? ;-)

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Fundoo said...

My jaws are still aching... I have never laughed so much sitting all alone staring at the screen. =)) Makkhi, Macchar and Machli... ROFL... that was hilarious!! This could have been written better! Aapne Hindi ka poora dissection kar ke parts ko bhi dissect kar diya. :D [or is it Hindi KI dissection? :-/]

Bhidoo apun ki company me rahogi to automatically Hindi ki badshah ban jaaogi... (oops.. ok ok... it should be Hindi ki 'begum', i guess :-|) And you would be glad to know that Bambaiyya Hindi can be gender independent... bole to... Car aayela hai... truck gayela hai.. :D

Not too long before your teacher get stunned. (well actually 'shocked' sounds more appropriate eh? :D)

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Fundoo said...

Grrrr.. typo...

this could NOT* have been written better!

Ok there quite a few others.. but am too lazy to correct 'em all, phew!! Pls bear with me. 8-|

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Dev said...

The painter of signs in a small town was given the following message in Devnagari to be painted on a signboard:
Ravivar ko karkhana band rakha jayega

And this is what he painted
Ravivar ko karkhana bandar kha jayega

I guess the karkhana owner must have pulled out his hair in frustration!

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger crusading against myself~! said...

hey.. stumbled upon yr blog travellin thru myriad others...

u sure write quite well...

n its funny 2 c the dilemma's u face with hindi... even more so considering this is.. our national language!

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger nupur said...

I can related to this very well :-)
I was really bad at languages too. In fact to use a word in a sentance, it was rare i knew the meaning, so this is what i used to come up with: (the word is say, macchali) "Meri adhyapika ne mujhe ek vakya mein macchali shabd ka prayug karne ko kaha " (my teacher asked me to use the word macchali in a sentance).
And that used to be my sentence :-)

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Jax said...

Lol.. I have never learnt to speak this language right. Why is it bookh lag rahi hai and not raha hai??

 
At 4:24 AM, Blogger Bhaskar Sree said...

chooooo chutkilaa chweeeeeeet!!!

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Sin said...

Lol! Funny! I have the same problems too. Ki, kaa and ke problems! I could never figure it out!

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger pradyot said...

I faced the same problems with that Aryan language, during my school days when my teacher was hounding my life to learn/speak that language.

But being the creative creature that I am, I combatted her passion for teaching that language with irrefutable logic. When she mentioned that gender in Hindi is something that someone gets a hang of, after a while, I retorted with, "I doubt. A language in which a moustache is feminine and a woman's breast is masculine, doesnt have a hope in hell". (Not exact words, of course.)

Needless to say, after that day, she pretty much left me alone and didnt bother my life to reply to her questions on the asinine Hindi lessons in the same language. In fact, she went so far as to leave me to my own devices during Hindi classes. And that was how I finished a lot of novels ;-)

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Pratik Pandey said...

चुटकी जी, मेरी राय है कि आप हिन्‍दी में भी एक ब्‍लॉग बना लीजिए। इससे आपकी हिन्‍दी भी सुधर जाएगी और हिन्‍दी भाषियों को आपके विचार जानने का भी मौका मिलेगा। वैसे, आपका लेखन बहुत ही अच्‍छा है।

 

Post a Comment

<< Home