Friday, September 02, 2005

MBA: My love-hate list

I enjoyed doing this - listing out what I like and what I dont about the course Iam currently pursuing.The preferences presented are **PURELY ABOUT WHAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN THE COURSE SO FAR** and NOT about the institute that Iam currently studying in.

5 things I love about doin an MBA:

1. FUN!!!

2. The satisfaction of pursuing a dream despite all odds that I was up against.

3. The respect that it earns me.

4. The practical experiential learning that it's giving me, albeit the hard way.

5. The kind of exposure in terms of learning material and information sources.

5 things I hate about doing an MBA:

1. The fact that it's 80% glorified gassy common sense, 20% substantial stuff.

2. The possibility that I could get severely shortchanged, having quit a plush job.

3. The fact that every day as an MBA student is just another 24 hours of mad rush against time to meet the next day's deadline.

4. The fact that most peers that one knows, regard one as just another 'contact' in his 'network' and seldom as a 'friend'.I intended to make this a short n sweet love-hate list but I can't resist from elaborating on this one, for, a very recent incident left this item of my hate-list etched in my thoughts.

It was one of those boring afternoon sessions in class and I had nearly dozed off but woke up with a rude shock when the prof's jarring words played harsh on my eardrums.It was very heartening to see a senior professor driving home the purpose of interacting with one's neighbour in class, as follows: "Why should you communicate with your peers well during your stay here?Because tomorrow you should be able to pick up the phone and dial his number when you want to get some job of yours done!". I was spell-bound for a moment.Agreed, networking is important but it shouldn't be emphasized to the obnoxious extent that it is perceived as the sole purpose of attempting to build a relationship with a peer!Unfortunately, attempts to build selfless relationships that lack ulterior contingency motives seem to be a thing of the past.They seem to be a class of concepts that fit well only in the supposedly abhorable abyss of the older generation's value system.This is the mindset that most MBAs I know seem to have:Sad but true.

5. The system of GRADING every damn activity that you do in 24 hours of your precious time.Iam glad, atleast our daily maintenance activities have somehow escaped the wrath of the grading system!These activities apart, there's hardly anything else I can think of, which isn't graded.

Quote for the day: We choose our joys and sorrows long before we experience them.
-Kahlil Gibran-

14 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Fundoo said...

You bet! A lot of people get into b-schools just for the sake of building a network. You've hit the nail! am surprized to hear the senior prof talking this! Now when you say senior prof, I believe there is just one in the marketing area and he is one of the most respected ones. May be he didn't intend to say this but nayway... as you rightly said, is selfless relationships and life long friendships sound too optimistic terms....

But then deep within me, I have a feeling that there will definitely be a few who'd be different! The ones who won't run after grades and the ones who'd make these two years really worthwhile.

Well written! M sure you echoed sentiments shared by quite a few of us...

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Venkatesh Sridhar said...

You have written abt a topic so close 2 my heart. I mean I m here sitting in a b school and seeing the same things u see .... and i m stunned to see how ppl change moment their work is done... where grades rule .... ppl saying i wnt teach u this coz relative grading is applicable...one of the guys asked the topper 2 help him wid a sub and he said ... i will teach u but after i find my pencil ... i m lookin for it (!) wat the hell.. never knew ppl cud b so selfish ....

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown!!! said...

Hi!...read ur love-hate list....am preparing for MBA entrance...i think mine also will be the same case few year down the line....
ok then bye...take care...

 
At 1:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Informative!

Nami

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

"English Prof".. ah! It's public now :)

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Varun Singh said...

"English Prof".. ah! It's public now :)

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger chutki said...

[Fundoo]:(1)It wasn't a marketing prof :)
(2)True.Like i said, selfless relationships and life long friendships not just sound optimistic but are slightly impractical expectations too.
(3)Am glad :)

[Ice Cream]:Iam glad you liked my blog.I manage to make time coz I like writing.Iam sorry to disappoint you ... Iam neither a journo nor an English prof but I'd love to be either :) I absolutely love English though.n trust me, my vocab can do with a lot of improvement :D

[Unknown]:No universal rules, bro :) Your B-school experience may turn out to be entirely different.

[Nami]:Informed you?or biased you? :D I wish it's surely the former.

[Venky]:Which B-school r u in by the way?Please use seemagr@gmail.com to reply.

 
At 1:28 AM, Blogger chutki said...

[Varun Singh]: I resigned long back.I dont mail that stupid student my English gyaan anymore ;)

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets keep it at informed! Ah! Diplomacy.. when did thy name become Nami ;)?

 
At 11:37 PM, Blogger Sin said...

Hi, stumbled upon your blog from your Orkut page. thanks for the scrapbook entry! :-) Aah! the good ol' VHS and BMS days. Drop me a line some time.

Nice blog you have here. I'm planning to apply to B-schools for next Fall too. Giving my GMAT soon. Sigh! It's gonna be crazy I know, but, I miss being a student!!

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Cma,
first time i visited ur blog today! Dunno how i cud afford to miss it till now! Anyway, will read all the posts now :)
Read this one...and i agree with u absolutely in atleast 90% of what u said..."things i hate" part, especially :D

- noops

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Blue Bike said...

Hey ... I belong to a catogory who are on one end of the "love-hate MBA's" spectrum ... having worked under few dumabsses who read books for 2 yrs and know nothing real about the field made life miserable for me and so i spit my venom wherever I can ... though I do understand there shall be many different people and it'd be utterly foolish to sterotype ... but I surely agree your gyaan is "80% glorified commonsense and 20% actual knowledge" ... and was at a loss to find the way friendships in general go on at MBA courses ... but anyways it was nice to read your post ...

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frankly I think if I see an MBA within 2 feet of me ill smack him/her. I have seen my business of 14 years go down the tubes when a distributor appointed an MBA as sales director. Arrogant, seeks no advise, has no clue about business, cant see what he is doing as wrong, and royaly screwed up a $2million business. Same thing screwed up wall street ..you b school assholes think that business is something for you to play with. Having started a business and grown it from nothing is the science ... to see it damaged by an ignorant self praising b school asshole .... you idiots think that that 2 years of 24 hour work entitles you to something .... the great thing is that when this recession really custs it will give me great pleasure to see you folks grovel for jobs at the very business'sthat your ignorance and attitude damages every day.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

hi, i agree with u completely... i'm an mba student myself, but i dn't think that anything has been added to my knowledge except for useless jargon in the last one year. i was much better off before coming here. Wish I had read this blog before coming... :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home