Friday, February 02, 2007

Beyond the obvious - Part 2

What Spirituality meant to me back then: The only (thankfully the only) occasion when I had had anything to with spirits in my childhood was when an over-inquisitive bunch of us purposely missed our van after school and stayed back to play the coin game where you invoke a dead soul and pose questions to supposedly get answers from the spirit. We did get what we then thought were answers and very disturbing ones at that. It had us all scared to death. We shrieked out loud, threw the sheet and the coin and ran for our lives! This is what happens when kids don't behave themselves, act ultra-smart and dabble into things they shouldn't.

...and what it means to me today: Today, spirituality means something completely different from some crazy voo-doo stuff that I thought it was. Put simply, it just means to me, connecting better with oneself through better awareness of the self, guided in part by a certain faith - blind or otherwise.

What God meant to me back then: That person, whose temple I could visit with grandpa. Grandpa'd ask me to close my eyes, pray for what I wanted n voila! when I opened my eyes, it would be right there before the God's idol. It was only many years later that it dawned on me, that it was just a silly ploy of grandpa's: he knew I'd always pray for nothing other than chocolates each and everytime we went, he'd get some with him, place it before the idol when I closed my eyes and conned me into believing it was God who granted my wishes!

...and what He means to me today: I don't know whether to call myself a theist, an atheist or an agnostic but I do believe in resting my precious faith n trust in a supreme force more than I can in most people around! I do pray for a few minutes every morning as a matter of habit. That apart, I do of course say special hellos to Him when Im going through those ultra-good times for which I have to thank Him and ultra-sad times when I need someone's neck to wring!

All in all, there's a certain serenity and genuineness about having those lil informal conversations with God in any way one wants to, without really forcing oneself into following the written-in-stone and cast-in-iron rules/methods for praying that each religion imposes on members of its community, whichever the community may be. That's precisely what I mean when I say 'spiritual but not religious'!


For any fourth person (the other three being I, me and myself of course), doesn't it seem abhorably quirky to witness a girl (aah no, the 'woman' can wait. 'Girl' will do for now) my age, to be rambling about religion instead of rave parties, to be tasting spirituality instead of spirits and to be discussing God instead of guys!?! Errrr wellll, bbye, Im off to a party. As for the spirits n guys, ye all can have it; they aren't my cuppa tea :)

Quote for the day:
For me, the spiritual quest will be a life-long work in progress.
~ Dan Brown

13 Comments:

At 10:30 PM, Blogger SRK said...

GRrrrr writing on spirituality!!! 'God' help us... ;)

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Harish said...

The kind of interest I have in religion and spirituality, made me really like this post. Very true words, you have said.
I would like to add one more thing. I believe, from what I have learnt of Hinduism, that this religion readily accepts any sort of prayer. No restrictions it poses on how you pray, where you pray or to whom you pray. It's very much similar to what you have spoken here. [Sorry, if I have sounded like an all-knowing spiritual Guru.]

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger chutki said...

[SRK]: SRK reading posts related to spirituality. God save him indeed :p

[Harish]: Nija nudidiri nodi neevu

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger SRK said...

May I recommend "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins...
That might clear any doubts abt SRK and spirituality :)

ping me if u want the e-book

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Fanaah said...

I think spirituality is all about connecting-simply with oneself. Connecting all 3- I, me and myself : )

Hahah, this girl too has more to do with spirituality than parties.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger chutki said...

[SRK]: Sure, thanks. I'll pick up 'The God Delusion' soon. Will try to catch u on IP later.You aren't around now.

[Fanaah]: I agree on the idea of spirituality :)

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Gaurav Kumar Ambasta said...

fundoooo... !!

Although don't u think what ur grandpa did was helpful in ur becoming spiritually what u r today and what written in stone religions try to achieve is very similar to what ur grandpa tried to make u achieve.. :-)

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger mahant said...

Little late in the day for my comment! But a blog on what some of the rituals may mean would be interesting. Bhajans could be 'group therapy', meditation is sort of universal brain calming etc.,

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger spiderman! said...

Lovely post. One question - Consider a purely hypothetical situation where after your birth you have never heard about the existence of God. Do you think in that case, would you believe in HIM ?

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Seema,

I'm glad to have come across your Blog. A very fine post indeed, I'll keep an eye on the latest happenings in here.

Thanks!

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People believe in GOD to blame sonmone when things don't go right.
Obviously most don't do it outright, they just say we didn't pray enough or we didn't just believe enough... but it is all the same..

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your grandad was such a sweetie! Surely he was a godsend :D.

But honestly.. I love god.. and I think my relationship with him/her is so personal, that when people judge others' faith by their religiousness, i find it offensive.

namrata

 
At 5:54 PM, Anonymous Carrie said...

You know what?! I'm sure that God has a plan with all of us, even a secret plan. We shouldn't bother to find this plan, but we should care about our actions.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home